[thelist] Hardening a webserver

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 23:03:03 CST 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:59:32 -0600, Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com)
<peter at easylistbox.com> wrote:

>         I'm surprised nobody's mentioned FreeBSD; is that not a
> contender these days?

I was just about to. As far as I know both FreeBSD and NetBSD are
still two of the most secure operating systems to put on the net. If
you need security and don't have the budget for the big boys, I would
strongly suggest starting with FreeBSD.

If you are planning on going with Linux, then at least download a
distro that supports SELinux. Putting the SELinux stuff in place will
automatically secure your box. However, from what I understand, this
is less than trivial.

As other people have asked, what technologies are you planning on
using and what does the server need to do?

If you want absolute security, unplug the server, encase it in cement
and bury it in the sand in the middle of the desert and it might, just
might be secure ;-P

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd