[thelist] MySQL Drivers on Win2K

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Sat Jan 15 04:58:11 CST 2005

: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: Sent: Saturday, 15 January 2005 3:46 PM
: To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
: Subject: Re: [thelist] MySQL Drivers on Win2K
:
: Replying to myself ..
:
: ----- Original Message -----
: From: "Michele Foster (WizarDev)" <michele at wizardev.ca>
:
: >
: > I have created a MySQL database at my hosting company.  I can access it
: from
: > my local machine with MySQL Front and I can access it from another host
: that
: > I know offers MySQL too.  However, I cannot get it to work locally.  The
: > error message I'm getting is:
: >
: > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
: >
: > [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no
: default
: > driver specified
: >
: > /db.asp, line 9
: >
: > Where line is 9 is the cnn.open statement.
: >
: > My host said I needed to install the MySQL drivers for Windows, which I
: > found here and installed.
: >
: > http://www.mysql.com/products/connector/odbc/
: > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/ODBC_Connector.html
: >
: >
: > I've subsequently stopped and restarted IIS and PWS and rebooted the
: > machine.  I've tried to create File and System DSN entries even though
: my
: > connection string is DSL-less.  The drivers appear as options under the
: ODBC
: > manager.
: >
:
: After more testing and google searching and trying and retrying different
: ideas, I still can't get this to work.  However, I think the problem isn't
: exactly as I've identified above and appears to be a known problem
: (security
: feature) of IIS.
:
: I can't get my ASP pages to run locally under IIS (win2K) and access a
: remote database.  Both MySQL and SQL Server databases.  Though it is MySQL
: that I'm struggling to get working at the moment.  I suspect it has
: something to do with permissions on the IUSER_mymachine account that runs
: the ASP pages, but I've been unable to figure out how to fix it.
:
: Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
:
: Mich
:
: --
:
: * * Please support the community that supports you.  * *
: http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/
:
: For unsubscribe and other options, including the Tip Harvester
: and archives of thelist go to: http://lists.evolt.org
: Workers of the Web, evolt !