SPAM-LOW: [thelist] Connection Inefficiency

Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com) peter at easylistbox.com
Tue Jan 18 16:16:29 CST 2005

   IIS uses a connection pool, so ASP (and presumably other) applications that run on top of it don't actually destroy connections.      As for keeping a connection in session, this is usually regarded as a bad idea for performance if you have any significant volume of requests; I don't have any links or corroboration for this, and I'm afraid I can't articulate the reasons well enough right now, but I'll see if I can find some documentation.  You may be able to dig it up yourself with a little googling.

 From: Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com

Have you ever noticed that on each one of your pages... I don't know, maybe
you code like this... you have some form of connection string. And if you're
a good coder, at the end of your pages, you close the connection.

That's a highly inefficient use of server resources if you ask me. Isn't
there a cleaver way to detect whether or not a connection to the database is
open for your session, rather than on each page you open and close it?

It's probably starring me right in the face,

Rob Smith

p.s. scripting language is indifferent here...