[thelist] RE: trusted computer book publishers

Brooking, John John.Brooking at sappi.com
Tue Jan 18 20:27:33 CST 2005

> What computer book publishers do you trust, admire,
> and value the most. Their books are reliable,
> accurate, practical, extremely authoritative, and
> comprehensive in treatment of subjects.

Definitely O'Reilly. I would say they fit all the adjectives you
describe. In addition, they are concise. They don't pad their books with
long source code listings for entire sample applications that I don't
need. Rather, they just give you snippets demonstrating the topic at
hand. Which leads me to my next point, that they give you credit for
intelligence and prior knowledge. They trust that you can take the
snippets they give and put them together on your own. And they explain
the concepts and reasoning behind the syntax. They are written for
programming professionals, not the Excel power user who wants to Learn
Database Programming in 24 Hours.

--

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in the message. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender thereof and destroy / delete the message. Neither the sender nor Sappi Limited (including its subsidiaries and associated companies) shall incur any liability resulting directly or indirectly from accessing any of the attached files which may contain a virus or the like.