[thelist] RE: trusted computer book publishers

Rosalie Sennett rsennett at brainlink.com
Tue Jan 18 21:01:33 CST 2005

I think the Osborne/McGraw Hill books are targeted toward a kind of midline
user.  My books from that publisher are from when I've been in the position
where I'm managing people who are doing geekier stuff than I need to know
about. However, I still need to understand and speak much of their language.
I just don't have to do it. Hence, the "Complete Reference" series and the
"Demystified" (of which I own none) series.

The O'Reilly books are for people who are gonna use the thing. They also
assume you are qualified to use whatever it is the book is about.  In other
words, O/M books will try to teach a five year old to drive a stick shift...
O'Reilly books are written on the premise that you're old enough to drive.
;-)

Often too, with O'Reilly books the inventor or creator of the subject is the
author. Subsequent books are written by their disciples, (this can be a
double edged sword, certainly) like in the case of perl. Randal Schwartz and
Larry Wall wrote the first two Learning and Programming in perl
respectively. And Laura Lemay wrote the perl book for Sams (a 21 day thing)
she's a technical writer, with lots of experience explaining stuff, who's
HTML books I adored in the 1990's.  I've never made it through one of those
21 days books for anything... takes too long. Although I know many C and C++
programmers who have Java in 21 days on their shelves from way back in the
day... when their first Java program was due in 22 days. <g>

Best thing I think for you to do is to spend the day at the bookstore and
pick a subject. Then crack open and read every book from every publisher on
that one subject. You'll get a feel for who they print from that. You'll
also start to see who has templates and what their writing restrictions are.
Some, you'll notice are quite formulaic.

And... there is nothing wrong with those "Dummies" books. Some GENIUS
thought that up and I can't say anything bad about a ZILLION dollar idea...
that I really wish I'd thought of first!

rose

"All my life I've wanted to be somebody; I see now I should have been more
specific."
 - Lily Tomlin