[thelist] How do you work with other web designers?

aardvark evolt at roselli.org
Wed Jan 19 11:36:32 CST 2005

On 19 Jan 2005 at 7:02, Diane Soini wrote:
[...]
> So, my question is, since the way I do web design is so incompatible
> with wysiwyg, how do we work together? So far what I do is go back to
> tables and Dreamweaver "layers", but I feel that dumbs down my resume a
> bit.
[...]

well, your question is almost your answer... you have to work *with*
them... take some time to help them out, show them some new stuff...

- sit with the designer when he/she is laying out a design in
PS/DW/etc... weigh in with comments about how you might code it up to
give some context... don't get too technical...

- take a printout and draw gridlines on it to show how you might
structure the page or break it up (tabled or otherwise)... show it to
the designer to give insight into how you work...

- ask the designer *lots* of questions about he/she thinkgs something
will work (what will this link do on hover? what happens if my window
is as wide as my thumb? where do babies come from?)...

when it comes to the WYSIWYG part of it, do what you can to lock out
the templates (i think DW allows this) so that once you have coded
them, they are set in stone... then if the WYSIWYG is putting in just
basic mark-up (paragraphs and the like) in the page content area(s),
you're good to go...

you may need to train the WYSIWYG user to select appropriate elements
("don't use a font style here, use this heading button, and ooh, look
at the neat style i made for it.")... this way you can retain some
modicum of control thanks to interaction and training...

failing that, override all <font> in your CSS to make them ugly
green... and then refuse to change the CSS...

ever...