[SPAM] [thelist] Embedding Quicktime and AVI with xhtml code that validates

Rosalie Sennett rsennett at brainlink.com
Thu Jan 20 22:19:15 CST 2005

Dave,

There are so many ways to distribute video. I'm sure the answers will fly
here. And if you look in the archives you'll see that someone asked this
very same question recently.

The best advice I can offer, is to look to your peers by example. Find a
site that has a similar purpose to your own. See what they did if you like
the result.

For example... some will find that simply offering the file is best for
their constituency (based on an understanding that the users have a certain
level of knowledge).

Some will find that embedding video into Flash is best because you can
control the experience with the least amount of fuss on your end.

<insert love/hate discussion about requiring plug-ins here>

If you want to know the best way to display Quicktime... head here:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/

and see it in action as the owners desire. A quick code view of the page
with all the params and accompanying javascript.

For the AVI file, I recommend you look here:

http://www.jmcgowan.com/avi.html
this page is pretty aged so some of the external links to .edu sites are
dead... but, take note of the section called:
"How to embed an AVI file in a Web Page"

If you want the parameters for the various players... see the player site.

For example... go to www.microsoft.com and search for
" Embedding Windows Media Player"

There ya go.

"All my life I've wanted to be somebody; I see now I should have been more
specific."
 - Lily Tomlin