[thelist] Search script

James Hardy evolt at weeb.biz
Fri Jan 21 05:11:47 CST 2005

And lo; it came to pass that the great prophet, Rui Madeira spake. And
the huddled masses rejoiced to hear:
> Thank you for the help Michael
> But can´t I make the search with SQL without the "Jet Engine"? (I don´t no what is it)
>
> Michael Pemberton <evolt at mpember.net.au> wrote:
> Rui Madeira wrote:
>
>>I´m looking for a script that can search data in a table of an Access data base. The search have to be based in three fields of the table, and the result has to be seen in a list
>>
>>Any help that i may get is good
>>Thank you in advaced
>>
>>Rui Madeira
>

> There are a fair number of details missing, so it is hard to give much
> detail in my response, but here goes....
>
> If you have access to the database via the Jet engine, then it should be
> possible to search via SQL.

What we know as Microsoft Access it actually two products, the first
Microsoft Access is a graphical display for databases with scripting and
forms. The actual database access is handles by something called
Microsoft Jet.

You may think this is over convoluted and it would be easier to have
them both in the same program, but the advantage is that it is possible
to have Jet without Access, so you can write a program or script that
can manipulate an Access database *without having Access installed* (and
therefore without having to pay for Microsoft Access.

Jet is distributed with most Micorsoft Applications, I think it is
bundled with IE6, versions of Windows from 2000 onwards and Various Offices.

The current version in Jet 4.0 Service Pack 8 see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239114

Hope this helps