[SPAM] [thelist] Embedding Quicktime and AVI with xhtml code that validates

James Hardy evolt at weeb.biz
Fri Jan 21 10:44:07 CST 2005

And lo; it came to pass that the great prophet, Dave spake. And the
huddled masses rejoiced to hear:

>    If someone could help me create standards compliant video embedding,
> I would be very grateful.
>    Thanks.

This is a very common problem due to the way internet explore misuses
the object tag. If you look at this article
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/ it shows how to embed
flash in a standards compliant way. I am relatively sure that this can
be adapted to work for other media types

There are problems with this method, it is a bare bones solution, ie it
tells the browser what mime type the object is and lets it choose which
plugin in most suitable. This has the advantage that people with non
standard fileviewers get to view the content, however it means that as
you can not be sure what player is being used, you can not pass product
specific parameters to it (such as start muted, loop etc) or at least
you *can* you just can't be sure that it will work - this is especially
the case with mpegs as there are so many viewers you honestly have know
idea what it will pop up with.

I have somewhere a valid(ish) cross browser solution for quicktime based
on this, I can dig it out if you want (I never got round to actually
using it), but it isn't too hard to work out with a bit of experimentation.

james