[thelist] Z-INDEX, IE and Form TextInput

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Sat Jan 22 11:54:25 CST 2005

Sam Forum wrote:
> After searching around without luck for a 3rd party help JavaScript, I'm
> developing a context-sensitive help for a form page.  I'd like to be
> able to code DIVs of text, with styling which are hidden, and appear
> only when onMouseOver a small graphic "?" icon.  <snip /> (only in IE):  When the DIV of help is made
> visible, the form <input> elements overlay the help.

Overlib will probably work for you.  It's free.
http://www.bosrup.com/web/overlib/

A quick googling (http://www.google.com/search?q=overlib+textarea) gave
a page with an example that deals with the problem you're having, using
overlib.
http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/hide.html

Caveat Developor! [sic]  Overlib is not particularly friendly for
accessibility.  Make sure you make the contextual help available in some
other way that does not rely on javascript.  You might consider looking
into CSS-powered help popups:
http://www.aqvi55.dsl.pipex.com/web/css_popups.htm
www.tanfa.co.uk/css/articles/pure-css-popups-bug.asp

HTH