[thelist] Using JavaScript for non-clickable email addresses

Christian Heilmann lists at onlinetools.org
Tue Jan 25 17:11:36 CST 2005

Jono wrote:

> I have used <noscript> but, as you know, if I put
> <noscript>name at domain.com</noscript> SPAM bots will take that just as
> easily as they will take just the plain address.  I am using a
> not-so-useful backup — <noscript>name(at)domain(dot)com</noscript> —
> which I am willing to bet, is not safe from all bots.  I was trying to
> avoid graphics, but it looks like that is the safest way.

Well, if you want to have  low level visitors to do that anyway then
there is no need to muck around with  noscript, as that would be a
pickle in xhtml anyways. Simply use the DOM to remove the unwanted
elements onload:

http://www.onlinetools.org/tests/emailobfuscate.html

The script (http://www.onlinetools.org/tests/deobfuscate.js) turns every

into the plain email.

Just tweak the script for other "protection" options.