[thelist] Logo Design company graphics

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Tue Jan 25 23:11:53 CST 2005

Message from dwain (1/25/2005 11:04 PM)
>that's why the prices seem exorbitant sometimes; however, the copyright is
>still the property of the designer.  to own the copyright would cost much
>money, that's why companies usually don't buy the copyright;

I disagree with this statement.

Copyright, in itself, costs nothing. Copyright owners, especially now, are
very rabid about protecting their "intellectual property", and demanding
ridiculous sums of money for their work.

Newsflash. Your Intellectual Property is not some logo you created for
Bob's House of Cookies. Intellectual Property is the ability in your mind,
to conceive and create *the next design*. Creating one design does not
diminish your existing reserve of intellect, or make you less able to
create other designs. Quite the opposite, in fact.

If you create that logo for someone, it holds precious little value to you.
It is however, entirely your choice how stingy you are with it but it seems
ridiculous to me to design a logo for someone, and tell them you own the
copyright. What are you going to do with it? Reuse it for some other logo?
Is your talent that limited in variety and scope?

I can understand retaining copyright for a book, which can be sold to
different publishers, or a television show that can be syndicated, or a
photograph that can be sold as fine art, stock photography, commercial
photography, etc.

But a logo?? Please.

Suppose, 20 years down the line, if any of your logos are impressive enough
to last that long, the company wants to modify the logo. But you've since
moved/retired/died. What then? Do you really expect them to come looking
for you, or whomever your copyrights have since been passed to, to ask you
to make the modifications, or to authorise them to make the changes?

>  it's an ip thing for the designer as well as a portfolio piece.

"The designer reserves the right to use this logo for self-promotional
purposes."

regards.
-marc

--
Trinidad Carnival in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/