[thelist] Reset Button

Sarah Sweeney mr.sanders at designshift.com
Wed Jan 26 09:21:20 CST 2005

> That was my opinion too until reading this thread, I never thought
> about the non-blank form. Thanks.
>
> Therefore in this case, the reset button should be at the top (labelled
> with an explanation saying "if you want to get the form back to how it
> was before you started changing it click here") and not at the bottom
> next the submit button where the user can easily click it by mistake
> instead of the submit button.

The problem is that most people don't know what a Reset button does. As
we can see in this thread, there's even a significant number of
developers who don't really know what it does. Why add a Reset button
that will just complicate the form and confuse the user? In terms of
usability, it's a bad idea for this reason and the reasons mentioned in
the Jakob Nielsen article..

--
Sarah Sweeney  ::  Web Developer & Programmer
Portfolio  ::  http://sarah.designshift.com