[thelist] RE: common key to good sites

Steven Streight vaspersthegrate at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 29 02:57:55 CST 2005

Justin Stach raised a valid point: this is an odd
question.

I think it's actually a potentially unwise question.

Imagine a prospective client, testing your expertise,
says suddenly to you: "Okay, Mr. Hotshot Web Dude, if
you want my business, answer this question: in your
allegedly expert opinion, if you know so much, what
one key ingredient do all successful web sites or blog
sites have in common?"

What would you say? It catches you off guard. You
don't want to say anything trite or simplistic or too
complex.

I am challenged by this question, yet it seems silly.

Like "if I just knew the single secret magic aspect of
all successful sites, I could master that one thing,
and be an instant success the easy way!"

That might not be the intention, but it seems so.

Yet, do all successful sites have anything in common?
I don't like this approach. It's like asking what do
all good jobs, good wives, good husbands, good jobs,
good politicians, good movies, good restaurants, good
novels have in common?

When you substitute something else for "site" you
quickly see how stupid this question could, I stress
*could*, be.

Any comments on this?

=====
Steven Streight