Newsletter Review (was: Re: [thelist] Newsletter help)

Michael Pemberton evolt at mpember.net.au
Sat Jan 29 08:37:31 CST 2005

Razvan Pop wrote:
> Hi again,
>
>    That is what I am going to do. Avoid using images for lists. I am not
> going to force users. Just my boss doesn't understand what spam is. All
> the "+" will be replaced by simple dots or squares. What do you think of
> the newsletter layout? Is it ok?

Personally, I am a fan of the newsletters that are designed to be read,
rather than ones that are designed to be 'seen'.  If the info I was
looking for was availble in plain text, I'm more likely to read it, than
if it was surrounded by a bunch of pretty pictures.

This basically stems from my background of having been a user of
'cyberspace' back when I was paying $0.01/k for my email.  But it also
comes from the knowledge that more and more people are using remote
email clients such as PDAs and the headache of downloading a large
email, just to find it is a glorified pamphlet, is a turn off.

Just like in your HTML on a website must consider low bandwidth users,
so to should the HTML in your email. It all comes down to your target
audience.  If they have opted in to recieve a graphic email, then the
email is great.  But, if they were expecting something with a little
less bloat, then they may be turned off.

It might be worth looking at a method of allowing the users to select a
preferred format.

--
Michael Pemberton
evolt at mpember.net.au