[thelist] RE: [OT] blaster worm punishment

Val Paliy valeriypaliy at yandex.ru
Sun Jan 30 06:41:35 CST 2005

Hello Mac,

Sunday, January 30, 2005, 10:36:22 AM, you wrote:

MJ> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 23:46:13 -0800 (PST), Steven Streight
MJ> <vaspersthegrate at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> I consider such acts to be home grown terrorism and
>> similar to murder, downsizing, or offshore outsourcing
>> of sensitive material (network security, medical
>> records, government work, etc.) in purely detrimental
>> effects for no good cause.

MJ> I think you need to get a sense of proportion.  Nobody need fall prey
MJ> to these exploits if they use a proper secure OS.  And if they *must*
MJ> use Windows, they should be responsible, and keep it patched up to
MJ> date.  I blame Microsoft for most of this stuff - if they didn't
MJ> release intrinsically insecure operating systems, nobody would be
MJ> writing viruses.

What  really  helps is a good fire wall. You do not have to purchase a
huge,  costly  corporate  solution  if you are, for example, running a
Windows-based  computer  at home. Do not blame MS for everything - the
way  I  see it is this - when you install their OS onto a machine, you
have  to  supply it with a set of tools, tweakers, etc. that will make
your  OS function the way you want it. It's sort of "Build it yourself
after you buy it" thing.

Thanks, Val

Best wishes and warmest regards,
 Val AKA M at ntis.