[thelist] Using JavaScript for non-clickable email addresses

Chris Heilmann lists at onlinetools.org
Mon Jan 31 10:07:40 CST 2005

> I started this thread a while back, and have settled on a temporary
> solution, using a combination of things I found through [theList].  I
> think it is a reasonable good approach to the problem, as far as
> non-server-side approaches go.  It validates and has been tested on IE
> 6, FF, and Netscape 7 for PC, and FF, Safari, IE 5.2.3 for Mac OS
> 10.3.7.   I also tested this with JAvascript disable and enabled in FF
> on both platforms.  I will outline what I have done for anyone who
> might need something like this in the future:

I still consider any Javascript solution that needs a lot of inline event
calls and extraneous markup useless. The idea is to kee our HTML separated
from our CSS and our JS.

http://www.onlinetools.org/tests/emailobfuscate.html
http://www.onlinetools.org/tests/deobfuscate.js

needs none of that. It can easily be extended for clickable links and
allows you to change the obfuscation from time to time or even from email
to email (by adding to the regexp)

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com