[thelist] Form, Style and Internet Exploder

Sarah Sweeney mr.sanders at designshift.com
Tue Feb 1 12:50:57 CST 2005

> I'm writing an application which I want to style in a 2 column layout.
> No news there.
>
> <snip>
>
> Additionally the style of the textbox is modified to be a block level element to
> allow centering the element. And to keep it from fusing with its label I added
> the clear: both. (Clear: left would do the job as well...)
>
> * The problem is that it will slide under the end of the left navigation this way.
>
> This raises a general question: if for some reason you need to apply 'clear'
> anywhere in the content, can it be prevented that the whole page slides down to
> under a navigation block?
>
> <snip>

I was, coincidentally, going to send a very similar question when I saw
this one come through. I was very surprised that no replies came, even
just someone saying simply "can't be done". I'm guessing that having
elements floated within the second column of a two-column layout could
be pretty common, if it's possible. Does anyone know of a way to have a
clearing element within the second column without the rest of the
content in the second column falling below the first column?

I can set up a demo of what I mean, if necessary.

--
Sarah Sweeney  ::  Web Developer & Programmer
Portfolio  ::  http://sarah.designshift.com