OT Operating System Design WAS RE: [thelist] RE: blaster wormpunishment

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Feb 1 23:44:48 CST 2005

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On
: Behalf Of Shawn K. Quinn
: Sent: Wednesday, 2 February 2005 3:58 PM
: To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
: Subject: Re: OT Operating System Design WAS RE: [thelist] RE: blaster
: wormpunishment
:
: On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 18:04 +1100, Ken Schaefer wrote:
: > What exactly is "shoddy" about the design of the OS itself?
:
: You really want me to name them all? I don't have that kind of time to
: burn...
:
: For one, marrying the GUI to the kernel. On Unix and clones, if one
: loses one's GUI (X Window server), the rest of the system doesn't go
: down with it.

I'm not sure what you mean here. There is no "GUI" in the Windows kernel...

The Windows NT kernel is implemented in ntoskernel.exe (well, the original
filename on the media varies depending on what type of computer you install
Windows onto, but it's renamed ntoskernel.exe on the disk). There's no "GUI"
in there.

Are you somehow referring to the default Windows shell (explorer.exe)? That's
completely replaceable. You can replace it with cmd.exe (the supplied Windows
CLI environment) if you want, or any other shell for that matter.

Do you have any other examples?

Cheers
Ken