[thelist] Re:Code Protection

Chris evolt at axe.dircon.co.uk
Wed Feb 2 08:12:23 CST 2005

> Is there any software that will sort of protect HTML, JavaScript and CSS
> source code? I know nothing can be totally protected but I came across
> these two and wonder if anybody has any comments
>
> http://www.weblockpro.com or
> http://www.newbiehangout.com/protect-html-faq.htm

1. So-called "encrypted" code can't be indexed by search engines.
2. Browsers without Javascript support (or where Javascript has been
turned off) will not be able to access your site, as Javascript is used
for the "decryption".
3. Many of the claims made by Mike Chen about Weblock Pro are simply not
true. (If you're reading this Mike, and disagree, sue me. Please.)
4. Getting round the encryption is so easy [1] that it seems unlikely to
  outweigh the drawbacks mentioned above.

I was also not especially impressed by the newbiehangout page with it's
"Buy before midnight, Wednesday, 02 February for just $14.95!" offer -
where the date is dynamically generated each time you view the page.

It suggests they're only aiming to sell this product to uninformed, or
worse still, gullible, people.

Don't be one of them :-)

-Chris

[1]
I offer this only as an example - I'm not saying it's especially clever,
or that there are not other methods.
Using Firefox:
i.Disable Javascript (tools->options->web features)
ii.Highlight all text on web page
iii.Context menu->view selection source