OT Operating System Design WAS RE: [thelist] RE: blasterwormpunishment

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Feb 3 06:03:12 CST 2005

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On
: Behalf Of Kasimir K
: Sent: Thursday, 3 February 2005 12:07 AM
: blasterwormpunishment
:
: Ken Schaefer wrote on 2005-02-02 05:44:
: > Are you somehow referring to the default Windows shell (explorer.exe)?
That's
: > completely replaceable. You can replace it with cmd.exe (the supplied
Windows
: > CLI environment) if you want, or any other shell for that matter.
:
: Just curious: what other shells there are available?

Googling for "replace Windows shell" brings up a large number of hits (some
refer to shell extensions, or replacing the default icons), but there are
also a number of shell replacements - some free, and some paid. I've never
tried any of them, so I can't comment on how well they work :-)

But the basic point is that the shell is not, in any way, tied to the kernel.
There aren't deep hooks that link explorer.exe inseparably with ntoskrnl.exe

Cheers
Ken