[thelist] suggested books?

TjL freebsdlists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 17:19:15 CST 2005

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:47:52 -0800, Maximillian Schwanekamp
<lists at neptunewebworks.com> wrote:
> TjL wrote:
> > Getting back into web design, have a paying gig or two.  Looking for
> > some current favorites when it comes to books I ought to read.
>
> In addition to the fine suggestions that have been noted already, one
> that has not been mentioned is Eric Meyer on CSS.  Zeldman got me hyped
> about CSS, Meyer got me going in a real way.  The "More Eric Meyer" is
> good too, though not superb like the first one.

I feel confident enough in my CSS that although "More EM" is still in
my Amazon cart, it's the one that's hanging on my a thread....
Zeldman.... well, it seems he's writing for someone who needs to be
convinced, and that's not me.

(I wish there were a sample chapter of "More EM" somewhere :-/

> If you're in PHPland, you might also check out The PHP Anthology by Harry Fuecks (2 volumes,  sitepoint.com).

Thanks for the recommendation.... That looks overkill for my needs,
but if I were going to do more serious PHP it looks right on track.

current shopping cart:

Web Standards Solutions: The Markup and Style Handbook (Pioneering
Series) - Dan Cederholm;

Building Accessible Websites (With CD-ROM) - Joe Clark

Beginning PHP 5 and MySQL: From Novice to Professional - W. J. Gilmore
(I wasn't thrilled with the Welling/Thompson book, so this looks good)

More Eric Meyer on CSS (Voices That Matter) - Eric A. Meyer

Cart stands at $107 which is $7 over my imaginary budget.  Not a huge
deal, but I've still got a nagging feeling that the CSS book isn't
going to be something I use (although I'm in favor of sending money
Eric's way in principal ;-)

I'll give it the weekend to look around and see what else I might
find/what others might suggest.