[thelist] Loading multiple xml files with javascript?

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 4 21:40:29 CST 2005

Hi, I've asked this before but have had no luck finding an answer, so
sorry for the repeat. I am having trouble loading multiple xml files.
It's easy to load just one, but I want to pass in an array, load them
all and read all the nodes into an array. Basically like this:
load file1.xml, put it's 10 nodes into array. Array length now 10.
load file2.xml, put it's 40 nodes into array. Array length now 50.
and so on...

I have an html page with an onload event handler:
onload="initialize(['file1.xml','file2.xml',etc...]);

initialize has a for loop that loops through each xml file and calls
the standard xml loading script you see everywhere on the web. After
the xml file loads, the xmldoc is passed to a function that loops
through the nodes and extracts what I need, putting them into the array.

Unless I put in a bunch of javascript alerts to slow the process down,
the initialize function loops through before anything gets loaded. I've
tried setting timeouts and all sorts of things to no avail. Has anybody
got any experience with loading more than one XML file with javascript?

Basically, I have a whole bunch of xml files I use as databases, each
one representing a year or a category of data. I want to make a little
javascript search page to search all these files. I'm not too swift
with xslt, so please don't say use that instead. I did manage to format
the xml with xslt into a nice table, but I want to search more than one
file at a time, so I don't think xslt is going to work.

Thanks,
Diane