[thelist] automatic mysql dumps from windows

Michael Pemberton evolt at mpember.net.au
Wed Feb 16 21:17:46 CST 2005

Sarah Sweeney wrote:
> Is it possible to set up a scheduled task that will do a dump of a mysql
> database from windows, without having mysql installed on the windows
> machine? I have a client who would like to do regular backups of his
> database with a minimum of installing programs on his computer and
> without having to perform too many step to get the actual dump file. Ideas?
>
> TIA

There are probably a number of alternatives, but the simplest would be
to get hold of mysqldump.exe and libmySQL.dll from a win32 install and
create a batch file to dump the databases you want to backup.

This won't work unless you have direct access to the server that
contains the database.  The alternative would be to try and script it on
the server-side and have the files downloaded to his pc.

There isn't much more I can suggest without knowing more details about
the location of the server and the method of access available.

HTH

--
Michael Pemberton
evolt at mpember.net.au