[thelist] asp.net error: BC30560: 'home_ascx' is ambiguous in the namespace 'ASP'.

Casey Crookston casey at thecrookstons.com
Thu Feb 17 10:48:33 CST 2005

This is the weirdest thing...

On my default.aspx page:

<%@ Register TagPrefix="insert" TagName="sidebar"
Src="update/sidebar/home.ascx" %>
<head>

and then later:

<insert:sidebar runat="server"/>

This was working just fine for a very long time.  Then I made some simple
text changes to the file at "update/sidebar/homex.ascx", and then I started
getting this error (below).  Why would it just all of a sudden start doing
this?  If I change the name of the file to, say homez.ascx and make the same
change in the register tag, it works again.  I don't think there is any
conflict with the file name "home.ascx" as I was using it for days and days
with no errors.

Then, to make matters even more weird, the EXACT SAME thing started
happening on the about.aspx page as well.

<%@ Register TagPrefix="insert" TagName="sidebar"
Src="update/sidebar/about.ascx" %>

with this in the body:

<insert:sidebar runat="server"/>

Again, if I change the name of the file and the reference in the register,
it works.

All this would lead me to believe that this is some weird bug in IIS, but I
am stumped.  What gives?

required to service this request. Please review the following specific error
details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: BC30560: 'home_ascx' is ambiguous in the namespace
'ASP'.

Source Error:

Line 39: <insert:sidebar runat="server"/>

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\jens2\default.aspx    Line: 39