[thelist] DOCTYPE DECLARATION HELL...

Richard Harb rharb at earthling.net
Sat Feb 19 17:49:45 CST 2005

As explained in this page:
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/doctype.html

the doctype tells the browser what to expect from the HTML contained in the
document and thus how to render it.
Without the doctype the browser pretty much assumes that this is a legacy
document as opposed to a standards compliant document where the developer knew
exactly what he was doing.

Mozilla firefox renders the first version (test.asp) in Quirks Mode and the
(bad.asp) in Standards Compliant Mode.
Though in Firefox both versions would need some adjusting to be presentable.

Richard