[thelist] RE: do you help people who know nothing at all?

Steven Streight vaspersthegrate at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 20 20:21:17 CST 2005

My question to Carol who asks how she can quickly and
easily master enough web design to produce a decent
web site to accomplish her goal...

...what is your goal?

I also think the answer to her general question is
"NO".

There is no fast, easy, hurry up and build a web site
type method.

The experienced web developers on this list, who have
a much more intimate grasp of this whole topic than I,
will have to step and either support or denounce my
opinion here.

But I'm a web usability analyst, and I sometimes see
problems in web sites. It keeps me humble knowing that
these problems are not always very easy to fix, and
that it's not necessarily the web designer's fault.

There are many constraints, budget considerations,
conflicting corporate objectives, web site host
limitations, etc.

I guess I'm reacting to what I see as a Get Web Site
Quick mentality here.

You have to, I think, be willing to slow down, take
the time and effort to learn what you need, in a
logical systematic manner, whether books, online
tutes, whatever.

I suggest using a free Blogspot blog from
www.blogger.com

You could probably accomplish whatever you want, fast,
easy, fairly nicely. You can tinker with it. You can
change templates. You can slowly learn how to alter
the template code, but avoid major catastrophes.

I have a Zero Budget Marketing orientation myself. I
am disabled and cannot afford a whole lot right now,
but I'm not starving either. So I do relate to your
plight. That's why I try to see what can be done on
the web, with very little to no expense.

Then when a client comes to me with a huge budget, I
can say, look at all that can be done for free or low
cost. It's an experiment that seems to be successful.

Hope this meandering helps a little.

Buy Stephen Spainhour & Robert Eckstein's "Webmaster
in a Nutshell" (O'Reilly), Jakob Nielsen's "Designing
Web Usability" (Peach Pit/New Riders), and Thomas
Powell's "Web Design: The Complete Reference"
(Osbourne/McGraw-Hill)

=====
Steven Streight
Web Usability Analyst & Content Writer