[thelist] Do you help people who know nothing at all?

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Mon Feb 21 13:37:59 CST 2005

On Feb 20, 2005, at 5:16 PM, Carol Whitney wrote:

> Here's what I want on my (personal-only) site:
>
> Not a table to be seen - all CSS.

<tip type="tables for CSS newbies">
I'm not being facetious when I say that it's okay to use tables for...
tabular data.

Many beginning CSS coders have heard the "no tables!" battle cry so
many times that they end up trying to find "pure css" methods of
representing information that really should be in a table.  Change that
battle cry to "no tables for layout purposes!" and you'll be closer to
the mark.

And be aware that many people argue that tables for layout is a
legitimate use.  I disagree, but that argument is one of the "holy
wars" of web coding.
</tip>