[thelist] Re: Do you help people who know nothing at all?

Carol Whitney cwhitney at islandnet.com
Mon Feb 21 19:04:53 CST 2005

At 13:37 05-02-21 -0600, Stephen Rider wrote:

>On Feb 20, 2005, at 5:16 PM, Carol Whitney wrote:
>
>>Here's what I want on my (personal-only) site:
>>
>>Not a table to be seen - all CSS.
>
><tip type="tables for CSS newbies">

Sorry - I didn't follow that!

>I'm not being facetious when I say that it's okay to use tables
>for... tabular data.

My fault. I don't plan any tabular data; what data I might otherwise
put in tables, I'm more likely to use lists for (ordered or
disordered). I should have said that!

Of course, my plans can always change, and if I should turn out to
need tables, naturally I'll use them. But I should have said so.

>Many beginning CSS coders have heard the "no tables!" battle cry so
>many times that they end up trying to find "pure css" methods of
>representing information that really should be in a table.

Too bad. Oddly, I didn't think of that.

>   Change that battle cry to "no tables for layout purposes!" and
> you'll be closer to the mark.

Duly changed <g>.

>And be aware that many people argue that tables for layout is a
>legitimate use.  I disagree, but that argument is one of the "holy
>wars" of web coding.
></tip>

Is that right? I'm getting just hints of it, from friends offering to
help with my site, who think using tables to display photos is
easiest, therefore best.

I made my first photo gallery using the free trial version of Album
Express, and didn't like it. Seems incredible to me that I managed to
take that and change it to CSS. The amount of work, knowing
essentially nothing, was huge, and though I'm not yet completely
satisfied with my photo galleries, I don't think they're too bad.

I recognize your suggestions as being very appropriate and helpful!
Thanks! Hey! That means I must have learned something useful!

(With lots of help, too.) I got stuck in writing-syndrome today, and
only managed a few minutes of web-work, and whether I have the
stamina to do much at this, a late hour for me, I don't know, but
I'll probably tackle it, in order to come up with a question or two I
know is hovering in the back of my mind.

Mon, 21 Feb 2005  17:04:38
Carol
*** I receive plain text only. To attach a file, notify me first. ***