[thelist] [javascript] Mozilla doesn't trigger event

Peter-Paul Koch pp.koch at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 13:01:42 CST 2005

> Mozilla doesn't seem to trigger the onscroll event when the scrollbar on a
> div (with overflow scrolling enabled) is clicked to page forward.  IE does.

What do you mean by "clicked to page forward"?

> I'd expect that paging forward would function just like dragging the bar.
> What's up with Moz?  Any work arounds?

Mozilla has bad support for the scroll event on windows: it doesn't
fire when the user uses the mouse wheel or arrow keys to scroll the
page.

On the other hand, mouse wheel and arrow keys don't work in elements
with overflow: auto, anyway (another bug), so officially the scroll
event for elements with overflow: auto is fully supported: any way of
scrolling the element (ie. dragging the scrollbar only) fires the
scroll event.

ppk, freelance web developer

Recent article: JavaScript triggers,
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/scripttriggers/

Bug Report: Report bugs yourself, or comment on previously
reported ones.
http://www.quirksmode.org/bugreports/