[thelist] Session Problems

Jeff Wilhelm thelist at summit7solutions.com
Wed Feb 23 15:37:45 CST 2005

> Jeff Wilhelm wrote:
> > We have been having some problems where sessions are
> > getting merged. We have a web application that uses
> > sessions, and we are testing it by having three people
> > here in our office log in at the same time and perform
> > queries at the same time. We are NATed, and the server
> > is off-site, so we all appear as the same IP. When
> > queries are executed at exactly the same time (picture
> > me at the office yelling 1, 2, 3... CLICK) one person
> > will get back what another person has requested.
> >
> > Very odd. Has anyone run into this before?
> >
> on a local domain, on the same ip, its very possible.  I
> ran into a problem like this before as well.
>
> how are you setting the $PHP_SESSION_ID[] or whatever
> language you may be using?
>
> try making your own- instead of using the default system.
> something along the lines of
>
> ((rand() + rand())/3) + ip
> or something.

Thanks Brian, I actually started going down that road, and then I decided to
test it from two machines on completely separate networks, to remove the
IP/NAT variable. I connected to a machine in RI and a machine in CO and was
able to replicate the problem. Now I'm getting really frustrated. I think
it's a setting in IIS that's screwing us up.