[thelist] Metatags - we are not ranked anywhere in the search engines - PLEASE HELP!

Mark Groen markgroen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 01:53:20 CST 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 00:54:19 +0200, Sylvia Braunstein <> wrote:
> This is the feedback I got from the marketing manager about the report
> listed below:
>
> OK, we stink...anyone know why?  Although it seems we use page/site
> metatags, even searching for specific ones we list like "Rugged VME"
> or "MPEG2", etc. didn't list us at all.

Metatags don't mean much to search engines anymore, too much abuse.
Instead, the bot rather would read the content of your site, and it's
kinda obfuscated in the code of this particular one amongst a bunch of
javascript.

Took forever and a day to download the page, that's another place to
make a search engine choke, along with old school html/javascript
navagation.

Probably a real good reason too is your title element, it's a single
space right now, and put it immediately after your <head> too:

<head>
<title>Rugged Computer Systems</title>
etc.

Did you ever submit your URL to Google? Do it once only:

http://www.google.com/addurl.html

  And how the hell does

http://www.google.com/ads/

> I don't want to pay someone good money that fixes this for the first
> day and then try to scam more if we want to maintain a longer term
> search engine presence.

Pay someone good money though to clean up the markup and keep your
content fresh and it shouldn't cost you a dime to be ranked
*somewhere*. Right now, you aren't even in Google:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=rugged.com&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

--
cheers,

             Mark

             MG Web Services
             www.mgwebservices.ca

Your Canadian West Coast web site development and hosting solution.