[thelist] Re: pros and cons of absolute positioning in css

Denise@i-create.web denise at i-create.web.com
Thu Feb 24 11:38:47 CST 2005

> Can someone tell my why absolute positioning is not recommended, or let
> me know if I'm torturing myself unnecessarily?

I feel there is a place for everything. While I do not use absoute
positioning very often, because I like and need the page to be contained in
itself. I want my content to determine the size of its container, not be
independant of it, for design reasons. BUT, I used absolute positioning to
sneak some elements into the left colum of a site reciently. Now I say
sneak, because if you have ever tried to make a 2 or 3 collum layout in pure
CSS you will know the problems you can have with floats. I simply placed a
wide margin on my main content, and placed these elements down the left side
with absolute positioning. It helped that those elements were out of the
flow of the page.

Denise
Web Designer