[thelist] [RFI] regex article input

Edwin Martin edwin at bitstorm.org
Fri Feb 25 04:14:23 CST 2005

liorean wrote:

>Greetings fellow eVolters!
>
>I've been looking at my regex article at eVolt [1] and thought about
>updating it and maybe extending it a bit, especially when it comes to
>details about how re.exec, str.match, str.split and str.replace work
>and how you can use those. I was looking for a bit of input on what I
>could/should update/change and what you think is missing from the
>article as it looks today. Please be as specific as possible.
>
>[1] <uri:http://evolt.org/article/Regular_Expressions_in_JavaScript/17/36435>

I think your article is very hard for people who don't know anything
about regex.

Your example with DOS wildcards doesn't help because 95% (my estimate)
of people younger than 35 years don't know what DOS is.

Because the context is missing, everything is abracadabra up until the
first example below "Usage".

I think it is better to start with a very simple and practical example
so first-timers get a feeling what regex is.

For example, to match an e-mail address, you want to make sure it
contains a @.

var re = /@/;

Etcetera.

Edwin Martin