[thelist] [RFI] regex article input

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Fri Feb 25 09:28:41 CST 2005

Joshua Olson wrote:
> [...]

Anyone (no matter their age) that have used Linux or UNIX also knows
what is a wildcard.

Also, a lot of people don't know it, but they are using wildcards all
the time (even in Windows).  A colleague of mine, who has no programming
or computer experience, knows that when he types *.* in any file dialog
box (such the one you get in Word's File --> Open) he will get a listing
of everything in the folder.

I once told him that what he is using is a wildcard -- his reply, "Well,
of course it is -- it makes sense for it to be" -- as if he invented the
concept :)