[thelist] books and classes and programs, oh my

dwain at alforddesigngroup.com dwain at alforddesigngroup.com
Fri Feb 25 22:06:43 CST 2005

i want to write a graphics program.  it is open source, so i will have
access to the source code to develop from.  i want to be able to produce
software for windows, mac and linux.

i've never done this before, but i am being driven lately to try.  i
guess that i will write the code in java, since it is my understanding
that java is used to do this.  i have seen the borland jbuilder program
advertised to code for the three platforms.

i'm not interested in learning the history of programming and all of the
languages, etc., i want to write a program using open source code to
make my idea operate on windows, mac and linux.  i need recommendations
for books, classes (online or traditional) and authoring programs that
will produce my desired results.

think this sounds delusional?  you oughta be in my shoes.

looking forward to your responses.  off-list replies welcome and even
encouraged, don't want to clog the list with this non-problem request.