[thelist] Process all pages as .asp under IIS

raskenbo raskenbo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 07:53:21 CST 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:41:31 +0000, Justin Stach
<j.m.stach at canterbury.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hello,

> I'm being asked if I could configure IIS to process all .html/.htm
> pages as .asp pages - mainly so that our relaunched site doesn't break
> a load of bookmarks. Technically this is possible, but does anyone have
> any experience on knock-on effects? I'm guessing that there's going to
> be an increased load on the server, as each page will need to be parsed
> before it's served - is that right, and how bad an idea is it, if at
> all.

Your assumption is true. How much of a "slow down" is noticeable will
depend on hardware (server), how busy the site is and bandwidth
(client and server).

This is probably the simplest way of dealing with the type of
situation that you've described. Trying it and measuring server
performance is probably the only way to tell for sure.

I've recently had to do the same thing with PHP using APACHE and I
haven't noticed a performance hit (html templates using server side
includes).

Perhaps this will help:
25+ ASP Tips to Improve Performance and Style
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnasp/html/asptips.asp

Ken Chase
Freelance Web Design
http://www.kenchase.com