SPAM-LOW: RE: [thelist] help with form validation using ASP/VBScript

Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com) peter at easylistbox.com
Mon Feb 28 16:34:06 CST 2005

So it appears that I'm left with sending the form to a validation page?

   Not at all.  If you want to validate on the server, you can use the same page and return the form with all the data if you find something that needs to be changed (really, server-side validation is good to have since the user could turn off client scripting).  If you want to validate client-side, is there a problem with using Javascript?

Peter

 From: "Pringle, Ron" RPringle at aurora-il.org

> Ron, here's an example form and function i use. this should help you:

> So, basically, you need to assign the id of the input button to the
> function name of the VB script, and call it onClick. make sense?
>
> This will validate much like a javascript would, on the client.
> Keep in mind, this only works in IE/M$ products/browsers.
> Firefox and
> the likes will be left with a submit button that doesn't do anything.

Brian-

Ahh, makes sense now. And thank you for pointing out that it won't work in
anything other than IE. Since our site has to be cross browser compatible, I
guess I can forget validating it that way.

So it appears that I'm left with sending the form to a validation page?

Ron