[thelist] Headers within ordered list in xhtml?

Bruce Lawson Bruce.Lawson at LawSociety.org.uk
Tue Mar 1 03:23:12 CST 2005

Stephen Rider <evolt_org at striderweb.com> writes:
> According to this: <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/lists.html>
> you can use the "value" attribute to continue a numbering sequence.
> This appears to be valid in xhtml.Perhaps if the original poster were
to give us an example of what he's after we could > > help? You could
also achieve this effect with CSS.

Here's what I want to achieve (ignore the ads at the top!)
http://zengarden.20megsfree.com/goltest.htm

The <h3> serves to guide the eye to the correct place in the list (like
words in the header of dictionary pages, for example); I do *not* want
to introduce a sub-list, because the points under a header are not a
sub-list. It's one flat list of rules, and I don't want to disrupt the
numbering, but do want to guide the eye.

Similarly, I could break the list down into separate ordered lists,
interspersed with headings, but semantically it's *not* separate lists,
and I lose the value of the "auto-numbering" of the ol if I have to
restart the numbering manually with value attributes after the headings.

Personally, I think this is one time when I need invalid xhtml - as
hacking my list into sublists/ smaller lists is a bigger anti-semantic
hack than the invalid headers inside a list.

Thanks to those who've already looked at this for me; any more thoughts,
dear comrades?

Bruce

This email is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient then you must not copy
it, forward it, use it for any purpose, or disclose it to another person.
Instead please return it to the sender immediately and copy your communication to
Postmaster at lawsociety.org.uk.
Please then delete your copy from your system.
Please also note that the author of this email is not authorised to conclude any
contract on behalf of the Law Society by email.
Thank you.