[thelist] Cookies - redirect (?)

Sylvia Braunstein sylvia.braunstein at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 11:39:02 CST 2005

I am back again with the cookies issue. I confess, I don't know much about code.

We need to have a cookie on our website. This cookie should collect
the sender's info and it should be forwarded to management.

Our website runs on Unix - thus, I guess php and/or cgi are required.

What about javascript?

The problem is that the cookie would have to be filled once. Then the
user will be allowed access to detailed information.

The questions are: what code (for dummies) do I use:

1. To collect the information
2. To forward the information to the management
3. To allow the user to access the detailed information (redirect? If
yes, I have to redirect to hundreds of pages. How do I get the user to
register once but that this cookie figures on every page where
detailed info is requested)

I tried to look at php but it seems a bit complicated to me and I am
not sure how to customize it to have it do what I want it to do.

Javascript seems easier to understand.

Here is exactly what I have to do:

This is the link that the user can access freely:
http://www.rugged.com/products/defense/c106/c106bullets.html

But then, when clicking on "view a full description", he will have to
fill in his name + info. He will then be able to access the full
product description
(http://www.rugged.com/products/defense/c106/c106.html).

The info will then be forwarded to the management.

The idea is to have the user fill in his info once so that the
management can keep track of the visitors. But there are hundreds of
products and pages that can be accessed. I am not sure how to do this.
Is there a ready-made script to do this? I also need to know how to
fix the variables and how to incorporate this in my website.

Thanks,

Sylvia