[thelist] a simple question on threading ?

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 09:11:28 CST 2005

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 08:02:45 +0200, VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK
<volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com> wrote:
> The terms "thread-aware" and "thread-safe" are generally used
> interchangebly. Is there a clear-cut difference between them ?
>
> This question has been messing up my mind for several weeks, I just
> wanted to share it:
>
> I mean can we strictly define
>
> "A thread-aware object is an object with bla bla bla ..."
>
> and
>
> "A thread-safe object is an object which has bla bla bla ... properties"

I have not really heard the term "Thread-Aware" so I am not sure how
to define it. As for thread-safe, according to answers.com[1] it is
defined as "a piece of code is thread-safe if it is reentrant or
protected from multiple simultaneous execution by some form of mutual
exclusion."

I tried thread-aware and didn't come up with anything.

[1]http://www.answers.com/thread-safe

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd