[thelist] Software for Discussion Board and via Email

Michele Foster (WizarDev) michele at wizardev.ca
Thu Mar 3 15:00:14 CST 2005

Hi Folks ..

I'm looking for some software suggestions for a web-based discussion forum
that also allows (by default/mandatory) messages to be sent via regular
email.

I need something more than just a simple mailing list solution, such as
Mailman.  But also something that acts like a Forum  (Invision, etc.).

What language?  I don't really care, PHP or ASP.  However, I *must* be able
to install via FTP as I do not have shell access to the server.

Background, we currently have a discussion list running (similar to Mailman)
with Archives.  But they are not organized in a manner that is useful to us
for archival/historical purposes and easy searching/retrieval.  A "forum"
per se isn't going to cut it, as most of the communications will be via
email. Whether people will also be able to post via the web archived
version, hasn't been decided.  If they can, they it will be restricted to
registered/approved users that can post; however, anyone can view the
material.

Number of messages is low, about 150-200 since October/November.
Subscribers are mainly in 3rd world countries, where Internet access is
slow, which is why messages/conversations are via email, not a web based
system.  Total subscribers is small, I think 20-30.

It's highly possible that I don't know what kind of solution I'm looking
for, per se.  Right now, we have the archives by date, which are completely
useless, as we can't follow the thread, or search the data.  How I'm going
to get the archived messages into something new, is a challenge for another
day :)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Michele