[thelist] Seriously cool advertising technique

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 13:43:16 CST 2005

> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 14:13:25 -0500, Matt Warden <mwarden at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Chris,
>>
>> I don't see anything special. Maybe it doesn't work in all
>> browsers/platforms?
>>
>> Could you explain more what you're referring to?

> What browser are you using? I tested it in both Firefox 1.0 and IE 6
> and the affect is more or less the same. Do you have javascript turned
> off? If you do you won't see anything. The entire affect relies on
> DHTML.

For me, I'm Firefox 1.0 in RH9, with Javascript on. The Pointroll
Client Showcase tells me, in text I can't cut and past, that I'm using
a browser/platform that Pointroll doesn't support.

The three demonstrations show the most intrusive and irritating ads on
the web. Thanks, at least now I know where they come from, and where
to direct my vitriol.

None of the demos shows the peelback effect, although the text says it
will "show what a user of a supported browser would see".

And God, those press releases. Are they English?

Has anyone in the UK seen Nathan Barley? Tonight, 10pm, C4. If you
have, you'll know what I'm getting at :-)