[thelist] RE: writing a productive search query

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 16:24:59 CST 2005

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:16:37 -0500, Brian Cummiskey <Brian at hondaswap.com> wrote:
> What would you do?

This one:

> A-
> Inline SQL on the asp page,
> fire off query a
> if rst.eof then fire off queryb
> display results.

We're not talking 100s of hits per second to this page or anything.
Unless you want to for the heck of it, there's no reason to put a lot
of effort into optimizing this process.

> would you make the process seemeles to your phone
> agent, or would you want them to fire-off manually a 2nd search/lookup
> if there are no last names from such a state in the table?

Neither. I would want to indicate to the agent what results they are
looking at. In other words, if the last name search didn't provide
results but the phone did, I'd want that information displayed:

"Last name search returns 0 results. Here are the results of a phone search:"

Something like that.

--
Matt Warden
Miami University