[thelist] Stylesheet switching Jitters

Sam Carter sam at iness.com
Tue Mar 8 08:53:12 CST 2005

I've got a client-side stylesheet switcher which uses a session cookie
to remember which "alternate" stylesheet is currently active.

The alternate sheet is a black background/white text, and results in a
white flash every time a new page is loaded (due to the slight delay it
takes to execute the switching JavaScript).  Oddly, this flash only
occurs when the new page has a graphic element.  It seems IE initiates
the image loads before executing the JavaScript giving enough time for
the white-background stylesheet to be applied for a brief moment.

This may be unavoidable, but I was wondering if others experience the
same using client side stylesheet switching?  Is there a solution to
prevent the display until the current stylesheet is applied?

Sam