[thelist] skeptical about the "benefits" of .NET (Visual Studio,Visual Basic, and ASP)

Chris Hardy lists at semioticpixels.com
Wed Mar 9 09:36:05 CST 2005

Sarah,
What will your role be?

I found it was difficult to find books and tutorials that treated asp.net,
ado.net and c#/vb together. What worked for me was open a safari account
with oreilly (http://safari.oreilly.com) and check out a book on ASP.NET, a
book on VB and a book on ADO.NET. For good measure, I would also recommend
ASP.NET - 23 Case Studies.

re: presentation layer - I imagine that MS used the FrontPage html generator
in the .NET engine (it would make sense wouldn't it?) the output looks on
par anyways.  There are some presentation layer coding practices that are a
little crazy-making if you evaluate your work by web standards.

Most of the tutorials will instruct you to use Visual Studio's interface for
assigning css styles in asp.net syntax. This places css styles inline and is
often quite redundant. You should just be aware that you can use an external
stylesheet without issue and there is even an cssclass assignment for
controls.

You might want to study the starter kits that MS provided at
http://tinyurl.com/44jdd. The portal starter kit has been extended
http://www.rainbowportal.net/  Each kit has an associated white paper that
is pretty good.

hth