[thelist] Database Newbie - Tips?

Todd Richards todd at promisingsites.com
Wed Mar 9 10:02:10 CST 2005

Hi Gang -

Well, the time has come for me to dust off my books and set up my first
database.  However, with everything that I have read about "proper" set up,
I am worried that I don't have the skills to do it.  I am running my own
server with Windows 2003 Server and MS SQL Server 2000.  I already have a
database set up with a single table, and am commuicating with it.

My problem is that I have a bit of information that I need to store in the
DB that I'm sure will requrie multiple tables.  I know how to "use" multiple
tables but I want to be sure that I am putting the correct information where
it should go, etc., in order to be efficient, secure, and reduce the chance
for problems later.

What I have done so far is created a spreadsheet with a column for field
name, data type, description, and potential issues.  I have listed out most
all of the potentital fields that I might need (but I'm sure I have
forgotten some), some of the data types, all of the descriptions, and some
of the issues.

My question is (taking a deep breath) do any of you have any tips on things
to think about, or processes that you go through when setting up a new
database, or any links on information gathering?  I spent most of Sunday on
google, but only really found a few useful pages.

I just KNOW I'm going to like working with databases once I get started, but
it's just been a phobia that I've been avoiding until now - and can't avoid
any longer.

Any help is always appreciated!

Thanks!

Todd