[thelist] What to use instead of align="" in img tags

Chris Heilmann lists at onlinetools.org
Wed Mar 9 11:23:28 CST 2005

> align="left|right|etc" tags don't validate with this Doctype:
>  "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
>  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"
>
> just curious what I'm supposed to do ?
> use css and float ?
> that is hardly ideal, because of the "clearing" issues and float.

The same problems apply to aligned images? An aligned image needed a <br
clear="all"> in the long long ago, a floated image in CSS needs the next
element that it should not float next to to clear:both. The only annoyance
is the MSIE peekaboo bug, but you can prevent that with a fixed height on
the containing element (positioniseverything is your friend).

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com