[thelist] PHP with SQL database, any problems?

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Wed Mar 9 13:31:58 CST 2005

Bruce Gilbert wrote:
> any drawbacks to a php website with a SQL server instead of mySQL? the
> reason I ask is we have a windows 2003 server and our IT dept is more
> knowledgeable with maintaining a SQL server, but the site needs to be
> designed with PHP (because that is the knowledge base of the
> designer). The only advantage I can think of for mySQL is the built in
> connection with DWMX2004 (our design program). Are there any other
> advantages for mySQL with PHP?

PHP supports many RDBMS's beyond MySQL, the main advantage to MySQL is
that it's free to get going and is very very good for the price.  But
SQL Server is IMHO superior to MySQL (non-clustered anyway) - it is MS's
best product.  I've used PHP and SQL Server 2k together in the past with
good success.   It is of course easier when PHP is running on a Windows
box, which is apparently the case for you.  PHP does seem to have some
extra advantages with running on Unix, but that's not really a question
of MySQL vs SQL Server.  You may want to check into ADODB, which is a
PHP database abstraction layer compatible with both MSSQL and MySQL, and
for which there is (IIRC) a DWMX extension available.

--
Maximillian Von Schwanekamp
http://www.neptunewebworks.com/