[thelist] SSL Java and Tomcat

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Fri Mar 11 08:58:24 CST 2005

Burhan Khalid wrote:

>> Tomcat version : 5.0.28
>> Java version : 1.4.2_05
>>
>> http://onlinekitchenware.co.uk/test.jsp
>> https://onlinekitchenware.co.uk/test.jsp

> Seems like Apache is handling your https:// requests :

And the "regular" http ones, which *are* being passed to Tomcat
(though right now that webapp seems to be broken!).

> So, you need to use either a proxy; or the recommended mod_jk to forward
> requests on 443 to Tomcat.  Google should help from here on out :)

But yes, you need to configure, in Apache's httpd.conf, mod_jk to
forward SSL requests to Tomcat. I don't use Apache any more, but
Google will find you some helpful material on integration. Here's
a start, though:
           <http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/connectors.html>

Alternatively, stop using Apache httpd altogether and run Tomcat
standalone; it makes setup and maintenance a *whole* lot easier. :-)

HTH!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.